Friday, December 19, 2008

Flashback to May 1998

The Victim...

The Weapon...

The Result...

It all started in November of 84' the leg discrepancy I was born with was 1/4" as I grew so did the discrepancy. It grew to 2 and 3/4" by the time I was in the eighth grade. At that time I had to make a life altering decision on my leg because it would end up giving me back problems as I got older. The options we had were a shoe lift for the rest. And having a shoe lift of 2 and 3/4" was not going to happen. Stunt the growth in my long leg and be 5'-6" for the rest of my life and wait for the shorter leg to catch up then stop the growth in it even then the shorter leg may not catch up so I still may need a shoe lift after that. Or lastly leg surgery. As you can tell from the photo's above. I chose the option of surgery.


Since the surgery I have grown between 6 to 7 inches.

Here is the portion we added to the leg... 2 1/4"
(Note that all of this is my real bone no metal or extenders remain in my leg today.)


This is how far the pins went into my leg... 2+"


One other fact... The Apparatus weighs 1 pound 5 ounces imagine having that hang off your leg for 8 months.

1 comments:

Aline C. said...

Hello Marvin, I'm from Brazil and I found your blog surfing the Internet. I also was born with a problem on my two legs and suffered a lot throughout my life. In July this year I chose the option of surgery to fix the angle of the two legs. Now, I'm recovering the second, and final, surgery. I created a blog to talk about my case. In the first post in my blog I explain what was my problem. I also put a picture of the first radiograph after surgery. You're invited to visit my blog. It's in portuguese, but I put a translator in my blog.

Sorry any problem with my English :)
Happy holidays,
Aline
http://nomundaaline.blogspot.com